Followers

Thursday, May 2, 2013

TELEPHONES

Did you ever imagine a house without a telephone? I have begun watching two of my grandchildren four days a week. My daughter is going through some difficult times and it is the one thing I can do to help. Yesterday as they were playing on the I-Phones , games and movies, I realized they may never know what it is to have a land-line telephone. It might be a bit like growing up with black and white TV and my kids had only color TV. I love the convenience of technology but feel a little sad for future generations who will never know some of the great inventions of the past.

1 comment:

KathyB. said...

I was thinking just the other day about how Jim & I raised our 3 children without a micro-wave oven, a dishwasher, or a computer for the first 10 to 12 years of their lives and how they probably cannot imagine life without them now. Also, I hate the phone, land-line, cell-phone, or any other type soon to come and I especially hate that now we are expected to be available 24-7 via phone. I feel a bit bullied by the phone and the common misconception we SHOULD be available to anyone, anytime. I have even decided my old philosophy of the phone still stands. The phone is my servant, my tool, my convenience. I will use it thusly.( but I'll always accept your call. :> )

Jim & I maintain our land line. It is still the only reliable telephone because of where we live, and I also want our family to know they can get in touch with us here, even if they can only leave a voicemail, we'll get back to them. Sometimes that consistency matters. Will you be keeping a land-line? Is that too old-fashioned?