Followers

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

FALL BREAKFAST SIDEDUSH

Apple-Bacon compote

Walmart sells little jars of Fuji Apples for a dollar. These work great for this recipe.
 I took 3 pieces of bacon and cooked them until crisp in a fry pan. I drained the apples and saved the juice. Put the apples in the pan with the leftover bacon grease. Add one tablespoon brown sugar and cook for 10-15 minutes. The heat should be medium.I like a few of the apples to almost crisp around the edge but not burn. Kinda like frying potatoes but keep some softer to for the mix of texture. I took a tablespoon of corn starch and a teaspoon or so of sugar to sweeten the liquid and make a thickener. Add to apple mixture and stir until desired consistency . I for got to say set the cooked bacon aside and use the same pan with bacon fat still there. Unless you get more than a couple of tablespoons of fat you would want to drain a little off. I like a smokey bacon which I also found at Walmart it is the store brand. Put on a plate and sprinkle the broken bacon pieces on top.
E N J O Y!!!!!
If you want to make the apple mixture ahead you could but don't add the bacon until you eat it. The bacon would get soggy:(
I like the sweetness of the apples with the saltiness of the bacon. The soft and crisp textures. It worked well for a breakfast here on the prairie.

No comments: